From a young age I’ve had an interest in all things media and in my career I have developed my marketing skills. From writing press releases and managing social media accounts, to producing videos and designing websites, I can cover every aspect needed for a comprehensive marketing campaign. I am hard working, dedicated and keen, with great communication skills. I work well independently or within a team and can always see a project through to completion.
DIGITAL MARKETING MANAGER / ONLINE NEWS EDITOR
Herald Newspapers PLC
June 2016 – Current
Reference: Mathew Rickard (General Manager)
With four weekly print newspapers, online news platforms, a digital radio station and video production unit, Herald Newspapers PLC is west Wales’ fastest growing media company.
I was hired as a web designer, however my job role has expanded and as part of the management team my duties include:
- Co-ordinating with fellow managers to ensure the continued growth and success of the company by highlighting opportunities in the digital landscape.
- Managing the IT Administrator and Online News Assistant.
- Writing online news stories and publishing them on social media channels.
- Proof reading and editing stories for our print publications.
- Re-designing our websites to maximise the performance of our online advertisements.
- Photographing and filming video of breaking news stories, as well as creating promotional materials for our advertisers when required (promotional videos, online banners, etc).
- Organising outdoor events, such as the Pembrokeshire County Show, and being the face of the digital department with customers and advertisers.
ONLINE MARKETING CO-ORDINATOR
August 2014 – June 2016
Reference: David Klass (IT Manager)
Hyundai Genpower is the sole UK and Ireland distributor of Hyundai Power Equipment products, including generators, garden machinery, pressure washers, air compressors and more.
My main responsibility was to write website content and improve our search engine optimisation rankings, however my role expanded and my duties included:
- Daily blog posts, including how-tos, information on new products, news about the business, and more.
- Writing product listings.
- Graphic design, photography and video production.
- Managing our social media channels, including designing images, responding to questions and complaints, and promoting the latest products.
- Increasing brand exposure by writing and distributing press releases and securing online and print coverage of our products and services.
- Sending weekly newsletters to trade clients and end consumers.
- Managing our E-commerce platforms (including eBay and Amazon) and ensuring all listings were correct, up-to-date, and optimised.
- Assisting the Web Developer with front-end concepts for websites, as well as designing websites for other brands which became part of the company.
- Managing PPC advertising, including Google AdWords and PLA.
SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER
April 2013 – August 2014
Reference: Diana Vickers (Managing Director)
As part of ‘The Best Of’ franchise, Ailgynnau Consulting provided online marketing assistance for companies across west Wales.
Working to promote dozens of local companies, I was responsible for managing the company’s and client’s social media accounts. My duties included:
- Updating social media channels for our company and our clients.
- Writing original blog posts to market our clients and improve the SEO of our website.
- Design logos, banners, and graphics for companies.
- Film promotional videos and talking heads / customer testimonials.
- Design and write content for our weekly B2C and B2B newsletters.
- Write press releases and find local and national outlets to publish them.
LET’S INSPIRE MEDIA
Since 2015 I have also been a director of my own company which I started with two friends, Mel and Mike.
Originally focusing on aerial photography and video using drones, we have branched out as a full media company. We now specialise in wedding photography and video, website and graphic design, digital marketing training and social media management, and lots more!
The company has been nominated for a Radio Pembrokeshire Business Award in 2017 in the ‘Niche’ category for our work with the drone.
As a Director of a company I have gained knowledge of what it takes to keep a business running on a day-to-day basis, including:
- Managing finances.
- Tendering for contracts.
- Project management.
- Sales pitches and presentations.
- Customer retention.
The company is an evening and weekend commitment which doesn’t interfere with my day job.
TOOLS OF MY TRADE
BA ENGLISH & FILM
University of Wales Trinity St David
September 2010 – June 2013
In university I focused on my love of writing and film with a BA English & Film course. There I improved my critical skills and developed my interest in video production. I spent most of my time in the media suite.
I graduated with a 2:1.
September 2008 – June 2010
When it came to focusing on my A-Level choices I already knew I wanted a career in media. The subjects I chose were English Literature, Film Studies and Media.
Media – A*
Film Studies – A
English Literature – A